Sunday, September 4, 2016

A Little About Myself

My name is Anna and I am a Computer Science major at K-state university. My computer class has asked us to write a blog during the semester. This first post is just a little about myself and why I am at K-state University. 
I am originally from Prairie Village, Kansas and chose K-state because of their great engineering program and because I have family in the area around Manhattan. I originally took a few years at a local community college for credits and also to find what I really wanted to do with myself after college.
My interest in Computer Science came from my father who is a programmer. I've also really liked working with computers, even when I was little and just playing computer games. I did not know I wanted to go into this career until my first year of community college. When I was in high school I thought I could be an art major, but that wouldn't really get me anywhere.
Being a Computer Science major, my hobbies do include being on my laptop and my phone. I also have a few PC games on my laptop as well. I like other things besides computers. I love to draw and paint, which is why I contemplated being an art major for a bit. I also love planting and caring for succulent plants. With my father being allergic to all flowers and most plants, I found that I love succulents because they are all pretty in a different way and very easy to take care of.
Other then my father who is a programmer, my mother is a librarian and my brother volunteers at a rest home. We also have two dogs, one a Labrador Retriever and the other a mutt. 
My first real job was a local drug store near my house. It was family owned and I became very close with my coworkers. It was near a richer part of the neighborhood so sometimes the clientele could be pretty rude and demanding. It really was a great first job though. 
My plan after college is not all that glamorous, just get a job and a house after graduation. I would like to work in programming and maybe work my way up to management but it is up in the air right now. I do think I am going to stay in Kansas, or at least around the Kansas City area. I think there are a lot of good jobs around the area, even though I don't know specifically what I want to do.
Looking through the textbook, Patterns On The Stone, and the chapter titles, one that catches my eye is the title "Beyond Engineering". I like to think about how computer science impacts the rest of the world and not just the world of engineering. I would like to hear the authors thoughts on this topic. 
Another chapter is "Computers That Learn And Adapt", which just sounds interesting. I like the current technology that is coming out with robots that can adapt to their surroundings so I am wondering if the chapter is a little bit like that.
I am going to be honest, I don't look up a lot of news about the current technology. I usually get some news from Facebook or other sites that people find interesting. An example would be my father posted an article from http://www.iflscience.com about an amputee who got a robotic arm with a drone and its incredibly interesting. So in short I usually stumble upon articles about some of the latest tech, I usually don't go looking for it, which I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment